Saturday, September 13, 2008

I went to get my ankle x-rayed today. When I entered the room it was as a womb, warm and gently spot- lit, table and slick frosted x ray machine--like altar and supplicant. I took off my boots and the technician crinkled his eyes at my soccer socks which he allowed me to keep on. He made me put my foot here and here, point my toes in line with his, bend me knee, step up here. the table was covered with white linen and i was posed with precision, back arched, leaning upright, hands behind me, legs bent knees pointed at the far wall, ass torqued into the light. Point your toes. curve your arches. i'm sure i looked a treat. When I came off the table, standing at its side, still in the light, I could see my hair, reflected in his glasses, each curl the outside lit in gold. He dropped his pen--3 times! at my feet, bowing under me, hopped up on caffeine and glowing in pale blue like an angel.

No comments: